Comparison profile is a named set of comparison rules, such as blanks policy, RegExps usage,
columns range etc. If you have several such profiles prepared and ready, you can quickly toggle comparison rules for single file, or automatically
use different rules depending on file type.
All profiles management is done within Options dialog (menu
How to create new profile?
To add a profile click
button, and choose command to create empty profile or command to create new profile duplicating current profile's settings.
How to edit profile options?
Combobox at the top of Comparison options page includes list of existing profiles. Select profile you are interested in,
and you will see it's settings. Tweak it as you need. You can edit settings on 2 pages - "Basic rules" and "RegExps".
RegExps page title will help you to easily understand if RegExps are used in current profile.
Note: Regular Expressions list is shared between all profiles. You can only select which RegExps should be used by specific profile.
So if you delete a RegExp from list in one profile, it will be completely deleted in all profiles. If you have deleted RegExp
by mistake, simply use button to close Options dialog - this will reset all options.
You can also rename and delete profiles by selecteing appropriate commands from same menu.
Selecting working profile
There is number of way to select current profile during your work with Compare&nsbp;It!:
- You can assign profile to specific File Filter so it will be used automatically for these files;
- You can select profile with command line switch: so you can create shortcuts with specific rules on your desktop and drop files on it;
- There is an option to store last used profile and automatically use it next time;
- Current profile is shown in Status Bar - click it and choose new profile from menu;
- Current profile combo can be included in toolbar too, you can do it in
- Profile selection is also available in menu
- Finally, you can assign keys to quickly toggle profiles in
There are few special profiles that you should be aware of:
- Default profile always exists and is used for all unknown files. If you will not use Comparison profiles feature, you will work with this profile all the time.
- Ignore Nothing profile is hidden - you can not delete or edit it. It's used to quickly turn off
all comparison rules. By default this profile can be selected with Ctrl+F11 key.