Build 1.0.0.1101, Alternative Projects interface.

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.
Heinz Schmidt

Build 1.0.0.1101, Alternative Projects interface.

Post by Heinz Schmidt »

Sorry, but i don't like this project-interface.

The treeview of sessions would be OK. But the project-concept , hmm ...
The Project-Item-View is to small, the session-settings are not visible.
The Textboxes in the "customize-Projects-view" are not sizeable !

I would like the "Everything is a project-concept", discussed here before.

This could be realized in this new treeview : Killing the sessions-node.
Every projects becomes a treeview-node. The items of the project-nodes
could desribe the "sessions" ?!

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, probably I will do this, but this requires additional dialog for Sessions(projects) editing. I was trying to avoid it.

MKairys

Post by MKairys »

I entirely agree with Heinz Schmidt. Although visually this interface is a pleasant improvement over 2.8, functionally it is not different. The Sessions list is already visible in the dialog instead of being made visible by clicking the configurations (F5) button, which is better, but Sessions and Projects are still too separate. When you click Projects you are in an entirely different dialog, just as when you click the Projects tab in 2.8.

Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

I disagree with Heinz Schmidt and MKairys.
It's not a good idea to completely remove the difference between "sessions" and "projects". In my opinion, that would reduce the functionality of the program. I like the possiblity to combine "sessions" to a "project". It happens very frequently that I want to make a difference between a complete and a partial synchronisation of my data. When projects and sessions were the same thing, I would have to define a "project" for every single syncronisation task.

The new interface is very nice, however.

MKairys

Post by MKairys »

It's not a good idea to completely remove the difference between "sessions" and "projects".

This is not exactly what the previous posts have proposed. Rather, it is suggested to generalize the concept. You would have many sessions, as now, and would be able to run them singly or in combination, as now. The only difference is that the interface to running something (one or more sessions in combination) would be unified so that you could pick from a single list.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Of course, ability to merge Sessions will remain, and it is not so important whether this will be just Sessions linked together or it will be named a Project.
What am I thinking over now is what to display on Start dialog when Project is selected. There is no reason to show state of first session within, since it will not reflect true situation.