changed timestamp (eml-files, Windows 7)

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
calvini

changed timestamp (eml-files, Windows 7)

Post by calvini »

I use SynchronizeIt! with the option to check date an size (for performance reasons).

On Windows 7 someone changes the timestamp of various eml-files (I assume, it's something with the searchindex). Those files were exported by OutlookExpress years ago and have never been used since then, so I'm definitely sure, that no other programm uses or changes those files (currently I'm using Thunderbird). But with the changed timestamp they pop up on synchronizing without their content changed, which is very annoying.

Has anybody any idea, why the timestamp of eml-files is changed under Windows 7 (without any change to the content) and how I can stop that?

[Just an idea for myself: Maybe writeprotecting the files may help?]

calvini

Re: changed timestamp (eml-files, Windows 7)

Post by calvini »

Looks like a combination of indexing and WindowsLiveMail: http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mai ... antly.html

What a weird system :evil:!

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

I would just enable content comparison and forget that.

calvini

Post by calvini »

With about more than 100.000 files compared over a not always fast USB-connection?

That might be a solution, but it doesn't remove the source of the problem. Having microsoft changing the date of other files, too (who knows the next idea of that sick brains ;)?) that may lead to more and more files needing comparison by content, which isn't a good idea at all (just for the time-reason).

When comparing directories for the first time, I use comparison by content (to be on the safe side) - after that, I use comparison by date and size, just to prevent those hidden content-comparisons raised by unneeded change of file-dates.