Comparing file sizes of all files in comparing folders

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
Jonas78

Comparing file sizes of all files in comparing folders

Post by Jonas78 »

Hi everybody
I am looking for a comparing software tool and would like to know if grigsoft is the one to choose:
I need to compare a wast nr of files from open source project and when I download and unzip 2 different versions the dates get set from when I did the unzip .... so I am kind of left with only comparing the file size to determine which file has had the changes .....then after this I open the files to view exact changes that is not a problem.... my problem is that I haven't seen if there is a easy way of getting a list of the files which has different files sizes in the 2 comparing project folders ....
/Jonas hyra vattenskoter

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

As far as I understood, you can't rely on dates? in this case why would you want to rely on file sizes? SynchronizeIt will compare all files by content, providing you with list of files which are actually different (even if size is same). It can even ignore some changes, like extra spaces, if you want to.

brahman

Post by brahman »

Hi,

could the solution be not to unzip?

CompareIt can compare files inside the archive, thus you do not have the problems of setting dates to the time of unzipping.

If you use CompareIt from inside Total Commander, it will be even easier - please see below for a description:
http://www.grigsoft.com/art_totcmd.htm

And, of course SynchronizeIt! can also work with archives directly - SynchronizeIt! and CompareIt! are very well integrated, so that you can see the direct line by line comparison results of the file contents with CI simply by hitting a key in the SynchronizeIt! preview window.

This window shows you a list of files differing by content only (ignoring dates - also available in addition to Content Only: Date + Size, Date or Content, Size Only) in f.e. archive A and archive B. So all your differing files will be neatly listed and can be easily found and compared if needed.

Hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Brahman