Upgrade to 3.2 and all Sessions and Projects GONE

Post your bug reports here
DCEFrance

Upgrade to 3.2 and all Sessions and Projects GONE

Post by DCEFrance »

I just upgraded from version 3.1 to version 3.2.

All of my Sessions and Projects are gone. They have been replaced by the Default versions.

I have over 20 different sessions with some complicated options.

How can I get these back???

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

That's strange. Please check wndsync.ini file - can you find your sessions there? I could only suggest that you have changed storage place, probably by selecting "Use registry storage" during install. Try searching for wndsync.reg file and delete it, while SynchronizeIt is not running.

DCEFrance

Post by DCEFrance »

I installed the upgrade in exactly the same location as the previous versions.

I did not change any options during the install. Use Registry Storage definitely was not ticked.

My wndsync.ini file now only contains the sample projects.

I do not have a wndsync.reg file anywhere on my disks.

The program is now no longer registered either and I have to re-enter my registration information.

Is there anywhere else where I may find my previous projects and sessions?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

I'm sorry, it seems like you are right, and installer can in some cases overwrite old settings. I'm preparing an update now.
To somehow compensate your troubles, I will refund your order - let me know your order number by email - this is the least I can do in this case.
I'm very sorry about this problem.

JPG

Post by JPG »

Don't forget to use the new "export/ import" feature in 3.2. I requested this because sooner or later disaster strikes. You could try a file recovery program
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
this is free, I have found it very useful.
You may also find it useful to take an image of your drive with appropriate software, for when a major disaster happens, as it will.
Jon

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Or, as good old Jerry Pournelle likes to say from time to time: "Backup early and often!".

For those that never heard of Jerry Pournelle; he wrote a column (very pleasantly readable) for 20 or so years in the probably oldest computer-related magazine Byte (USA), and when the paper edition stopped, around 1990, they continued at www.byte.com and on CD, and Jerry still has his columns at www.jerrypournelle.com (The picture on the left is more than 5 years old I guess...)

HTH
TonHu