Shifted/Inserted vs Altered

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Ro Ablate

Shifted/Inserted vs Altered

Post by Ro Ablate »

There are numberous times when I am using some repetive string (like entering a binary value into a processor's configuration register).

When there is a difference in these strings, CI! seems to prefer to analyze the difference from the standpoint of characters being inserted and/or deleted, with the rest of the string shifting.

This can often be VERY mind twisting to interpet what character(s) in a fixed length field have actually changed!!!!

I would really like the option of telling it to compare with preference for having characters altered in place.

I am not so sure that this would be desirable for the WHOLE file.

Instead, I would want to put down some kind of marker that told CI! to interpet This Particular Line with preference to altered characters over insertions & deletions, that would be fantastic.

The algorithm would probably require some thought, since there may well be comment or other alterations in that line, and it would not be particularly useful for CI! to claim that the Whole Line is Nothing But altered characters without attempting to align like components.

In the case of fixed fields, the number of differences are similar (identical?) between altering and inserting/deleting. So perhaps that could be a measure of how well an algorithm fits that section of text, and apply the difference markings intelligently.

Again, this sounds like it may take a bit of processing, so searchng whole files for some optimal way of displaying the changes MAY make CI! a lot slower. So maybe it would be better to focus such efforts on where the user has requested it.

PS - how goes the forced indifference markers?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Could you send me some samples/screenshots? I didn't get the idea, what is the problem?

PS. Forced indifference will be added to 3.5.

Ro Ablate

RE:Insert/Delete/Shift vs Altered

Post by Ro Ablate »

To make it more complicated, it does not always create this problem, only occasionally.

I will PM a screen shot...