Sync on Function Names

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.

Sync on Function Names

Post by Guest »

Just a brief suggestion on your great product, “Compare It! 3.8”

It is fairly common for some of our source files to go out-of-sync, with new functions added in seemingly random places throughout the files…

When I use Compare It! to sync up these files, it would be very helpful if the tool had an option for syncing to function names; instead of showing me how the function name has changed (it is trying to compare a new function to a completely different one), it would be more helpful if it first scanned to see if that function name still existed – and then sync up the compare there… I use the manual match for this now, it's a life saver.

Please keep up the good work, it’s a great tool & I’m spreading the word.
Bruce.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hello,
Thank you for suggestion! In fact I'm already planning to add feature called Auto-Match, which will automatically match lines by some rules. Currently I'm planning it as regular expression, which will extract some important part from specified strings, and automatically align line with same extracted parts.

Post by Guest »

That sounds great, thanks.

PS: Here's two more suggestions, if you don't mind;

At this time we can set "Merge Manual Anchor Points" by pressing Control-M. To remove an anchor we must go through the menu, it would be great if we could simply toggle an anchor by repeatedly clicking Control-M.

You have a lot of commonality of key sequences with Microsoft's development tools, such as their toggling and going to bookmarks, and the Control-F3 for searching, this is very nice... I did notice that the Control-Shift-F3 sequence doesn't work like MS Visual Studio; This is normally a backward search for item at cursor. But to do it with Compare It! 3.8 I have to first do a forward search (Control-Shift-F3) then do the reverse search (Shift-F3) twice.