[closed] How certain are you files are the same?

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
nwhitley

[closed] How certain are you files are the same?

Post by nwhitley »

Hi

I have just registered for this software, and I am hoping it will prove very useful. However, I am not too certain about how to make very certain two files are the same. There seem to be a few options that can be selected.

Is there any chance of Grigsoft doing a few tutorials/examples - I am concerned that I may compare files (in Synchronise It!) with a wrong setting, and later find that the files were different.

For example, if I take a text file and enter a line "1,2,3,4,5" into it and save this I can see in the windows explorer two columns: Date Created and Date Modified. At the moment I see: 26/04/2005 10:11 and 26/04/2005 10:11 respectively.

Now, if I copy this file and open then save it (without altering any text in it), I now find this file has 26/04/2005 10:12 (Date Created) and 26/04/2005 10:14 (Date Modified).

These two files have the same content, BUT the times are different. How can I use Compare It/Synchronise properly?

PS, Can you make a tutorial?

Anycase, thanks alot for the software and your efforts.

Neil. :D

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for support!
Both help and manuals will be improved, but only for new version 3 - that is not too soon.
First, Synchronize It! always uses only modification date.
Next, for such files there is special support in Synchronize It! - set option "Compare files of same size" + "Ignore same files". As result all files, which have same size, but different dates, will be compared byte-by-byte to check, if files are same.
If you are searching for a way to verify your CDRW, set "ignore date and time". As result all files will be verified in described manner.