3 file compare

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Razzleflabbenz

3 file compare

Post by Razzleflabbenz »

:?:
How soon is the 3 or 4 file compare development going to be availabile.
:idea:
I have tried running two concurrent compare it applications to compare 3 files, where one is a templete and I have 2 variations.
It seems to work, but I would like to know if I will see any gotchas???

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, 3 files compare is on top of wish list. That's all I can tell right now.
As for your smart idea :), I can only see one problem - you can miss a difference when same block A is found in files 1 and 2, and similar block B found in files 1 and 3. When blocks A and B only differs with additional line, it can be difficult to see it. Still, your method is quite good. I can also recommend trying http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/ for some time.

Razzleflabbenz

Post by Razzleflabbenz »

I am able to run 6 instances of the Compare-it with out too much problem,
However the biggest problem is when I compare the same file to two others and in both I make a change to the template. Opps, when I reload the changed file when I go back to the same file changed in another instance.
I really like that the file is reloaded if changed outside. However, this is a problem when the file has been locally changed but not saved too.

The real solution of course is difficult unless all 3 files are under the control of a single instance of the program. Or perhaps some logic like the suggestions below can make multi-file compare reasonable until 3+ file compare is ready.

:idea:
1. May I suggest that when a file has been changed, and Compare-it is minimized, then the ICON in the task bar/toolbar could flash or change colour to warn that the file needs to be discarded or saved?

2. May I suggest that when a file has been locally changed and the file has been changed externally, before I reload it, WARN ME so I can rename and save the local file first.

3. perhaps you can look into opening an new instance of Compare-it to show the differences between the local changes and the external changes.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, all 3 ideas seems quite resonable. I will search out what can I do.

Razzleflabbenz

Re: 3 file compare

Post by Razzleflabbenz »

:idea: What is the status of this feature? Its being a while since I have used Compare-it.