[closed] Bookmarks vs Forced Indifferences

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.

[closed] Bookmarks vs Forced Indifferences

Post by Guest »

I am not sure how bookmarks will take the place of blanking out the marked file differences found.

I like being able to examine a difference, and modify or decide that the difference is intended, just once. After I have worked on a section of differences, I would like to clear or suppress the differences so it does not show up in the overview bar nor when using F8/F7, especially on rescans. And that is a problem, since CompareIt 3.2 won't rescan an edited file without save it first - it is good to be asked, but the only choices given are save the file(s), or not save the files and rescan the last saved versions. When the latter happens, all on screen edits are wiped out.

Maybe a special form of bookmark?

Was I clearer with this description?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

I see now - you want to hide merged blocks, so it looks (and behaves) just like same code? Same as after rescan, but without saving files? Is this right? In this case I could think of special Rescan command, or maybe command like "hide diff", which will remove all markings from current diff block. Will it help you?

Ro Ablate

Rescanning without select differences...

Post by Ro Ablate »

I don't know what can be done to block re-detection of differences after the file(s) have been edited. A special filter/bookmark that will treat the marked lines are deleted or invisible, but it would have to work through a rescan, and bookmarks don't currently survive rescanning.

Rescanning unsaved files could be helpful, particularly if only one file is being edited to final form (ie - saved) and the second file can be freely edited to match the first.

I forgot - manual matches do survive rescanning (obviously!). So maybe that route may be reasonable. Maybe a "Manual Indifference"?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, I will try to add such function - hide difference.

Ro Ablate

Forced indifferences

Post by Ro Ablate »

Have I somehow overlooked you having implemented this feature during the last 4 months?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Probably you have - check Merge/Ignore Diff functions in 3.5.

Ro Ablate

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Post by Ro Ablate »

Not to gush, but THANK YOU!