[closed] command line xls compare

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
rw_simmons

[closed] command line xls compare

Post by rw_simmons »

I'm checking out CI 3.7, and I see some good potential with the addition of Excel file recognition. This would really help me out, if I could indicate with the command line options that the files are MS-Excel format for generating the change file (/G option) or when the files are getting loaded for viewing.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Do your excel files have different from .xls extension? I could add a switch to force view type, but I'm also going to add an option to configure automatic conversion - which files to handle as Word or Excel. Will this help?

rw_simmons

Post by rw_simmons »

Yes, you've struck my situation exactly: files are named with a variety of extensions, but none of them are actually "xls".

Reason being that all files associated with a test case have the same basename, and multiple files are stored in the same archive. To differentiate the possible 147 files with 4 different formats each, the test system uses a set of defined file extensions. i.e. the system has 147 different file extensions that represent MS-Excel format, but are not Windows defined as such (nor would I want them to be.)

Up to now, CI has performed excellently, replacing our in-house report comparison tool. I've used CI to successfully compare text files (over 150,000 every three days) never hitting a file size limit. It would be a real boon to be able to do the same for the Excel format files.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Seems like you are missing View/View as feature. Anyway, I'm ready to do almost everything to get such a throughout testing :)
So here is a quick solution - get http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp3.zip, it has updated version with support of /xls switch. Let me know (here or in mail) about results.