"Ignore nothing" at line level only

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Gingko

"Ignore nothing" at line level only

Post by Gingko »

Hello,

In "Compare It!", the comparison is made on two levels: at file level for finding matching lines, and at line level for finding matching characters.
For these comparisons, there is an option for comparing while ignoring spaces, character cases, etc.

There is also an option to quickly switch to "ignore nothing" in order to quickly see space and case changes on a file comparison previously made without case and space sensitivity.

I thing it would be useful to have an intermediary mode, where case and spaces differences would be ignored at file level, but NOT at line level: that way, all these trivial differences would still be found, but the line matching wouldn't be sometimes lost as it is often the case when you compare files with lot of indentation changes but nevertheless containing the same text.

Gingko

Gingko

Re: "Ignore nothing" at line level only

Post by Gingko »

Hello,

I made this suggestion here 9 years ago.
I'd like to bring it to your attention again.

Regards,

Gingko

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hello,
Thanks for the reminder )
It is still not clear how do you want to see these line changes - change is either highlighted or not. I can make option to highlight all changes in current line, for example, but this would not help you locating possibly missed changes. You can just make profile only with options you need and activate it. Or am I missing your idea completely?

Igor

Gingko

Post by Gingko »

Hi Igor,

As far as I remember, the problem that I had is that you can have files with a lot of differences in spaces and indentation matter, but very few (or even none) if you ask to ignore them.

While ignoring, these files can nevertheless synchronize perfectly at line level, but if you switch to "Ignore nothing", the number of differences which now appears may be so high that the compare engine could be unable to keep synchronization between lines while there are still good reasons to keep them synchronized.

I think that the "Ignore nothing" could even still ignore spaces for line synchronization as a basic feature without breaking anything (as the idea it to see all differences, but we will see it better if lines stay synchronized), but if you don't agree, it could be also a separate option.

If I suggested that, it is because it was a problem that I met very frequently.

Gingko