Replace left/right file … and quit ?

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Gingko

Replace left/right file … and quit ?

Post by Gingko »

Hello,

In the “File” menu, there is a command which is named “Replace right file” or “Replace left file” (according to which pane is currently selected).

When you select it, the content of the opposite file is replaced by the content of the current file, and then the application quit.

It seems logical to have the application quitting after the replacement because as both files are now identical, it is no longer needed to compare them.

But actually this is not always convenient:

I often use Compare It! for monitoring file changes, and for that purpose, I keep the file to monitor open in Compare It! in synchronization with a copy of it.
That way, when the content of the file to monitor changes, it is normally automatically detected (with a warning message box), I confirm the reload and I immediately see which lines have changed.

As this file is also often the data source of my application (for example, if I want to check if the data saved by my program is identical to what it has previously loaded), very often I want to restore it from my copy and thus I use the “Replace left/right file” for reverting to its original content, and monitor again.

In this context, it is painful to have the application quitting on that moment: each time I have to reopen it immediately (using “Recent” menu) in order to continue to compare.

That's why I suggest to either:
  • Replace the “Replace left/right file” menu item by a pair of menu items “Replace left/right file” (without quitting) and “Replace left/right file and quit”
  • Add an option for choosing if the “Replace left/right file” command is followed by a quit or not.
Best regards,

Gingko

grigsoft
Site Admin

Re: Replace left/right file … and quit ?

Post by grigsoft »

Hello,
In fact in confirmation dialog for Replace file command you can select whether to quit an app. Or did I understand you wrong?

Gingko

Re: Replace left/right file … and quit ?

Post by Gingko »

grigsoft wrote:In fact in confirmation dialog for Replace file command you can select whether to quit an app. Or did I understand you wrong?
Yes, I'm sorry.

I just realized that I can choose this in the confirmation dialog, either I've completely missed it for a long time, either it is new (but I can't see this in the change log).

Gingko