List of return codes.

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
kthorn

List of return codes.

Post by kthorn »

When using compare it from the command line in a script I check the return codes. I'm unable to find a list of return codes used by compare it. Does such a list exist?

whiri02

Post by whiri02 »

When I've used compare it in a batch file I've had to look for the results file to see what happened. I used the /G parameter to delete the report when files are identical, so if there is no results file then files match 100%. Also I used REGEX to force run dates etc. not to report as diffs. heres the command I used:
"C:\Program Files\Compare It!\wincmp3.exe" D:\HubTest\SAS\systestR010\wincmp\old.lst D:\HubTest\SAS\systestR010\wincmp\new.lst /l D:\HubTest\SAS\systestR010\wincmp\wincmpresult.txt /n /r /G:Tensw

But I agree that some rc list would be good.

kthorn

Post by kthorn »

Most of what comes back is return code zero, which I presume to be "all is well" as it tends to be everywhere else. It is just that I occasionally see other codes and I don't know what the deal is. Usually when I then check the output file, it looks as I expect, but I'd still like to know why wincmp returns something other than zero.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

There is no official exit code used in CompareIt. Which situations you would like to distinguish?

kthorn

Post by kthorn »

success from failure, for starters.

Most of the time zero is returned, which until I was told that there was no official exit code(s) being used, I'd assumed was success, as this is the accepted practice. I sometimes receive a return code of '1', which prompted me to make my original post. My examination seems to show that all of the '1' output files are fine, but it struck me as odd.

e9gille

Re: List of return codes.

Post by e9gille »

I'm experiencing an odd behaviour on one of my machines where CompareIt is launched programmatically by creating a new process. It is meant to present the user with the GUI to compare two documents, but instead it shuts down immediately without even presenting the GUI. All I see is a flicker in the task manager that the process is started and then terminated.

The return code from the CreateProcess method is 1 (one) and asking for the exit code I get 0x940000C0

This issues comes and goes, but I've only seen it on this specific machine so far. Is there anything you could tell me about this exit code?