Save and Release option.

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
marcnovak

Save and Release option.

Post by marcnovak »

We use compare it! as a deployment tool for web pages and more often that not the deployment will span several files, crossing multiple directories, each containing many changes. Typically we will prepare these files (using compare it!) prior to the agreed deployment time, to ensue that we are ready…. and then ultimately release (save the changes) to the production environment. (The prep work can take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours)

We’ve found that the most effective and efficient way to work is to compare the production code with the stage code directly on the source and target servers. This means that we don’t have the additional burden of copying production pages to a temporary area and copying them back once the changes have been made. It does unfortunately have one drawback. If my workstation or indeed the application were to crash, all of the prep work is lost.

My suggestion is to alter the way in which the save function works and add a release button to compare It!

As follows…..

“Save” would save the page(s) to a temporary location on the local machine.
“Release” would save the pages from the temporary location to there original locations.

I think this would give people more flexibility in the way they work.

Hope that makes sense!!

Thanks

Marc

p.s. are there any plans to add files that have deleted using compare it! to the file back up functionality?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Marc,
This is very specific case, so I doubt I will do this in public version. But I will think about it, thank you for suggestion. But maybe there is another way. How do you map remote servers so CompareIt can access it?

And I'm not quite sure I understand your question about backup feature. As far as I know you can't delete file in CompareIt.

marcnovak

Post by marcnovak »

grigsoft wrote:How do you map remote servers so CompareIt can access it?
Typically we use a windows drive mapping

grigsoft wrote: And I'm not quite sure I understand your question about backup feature. As far as I know you can't delete file in CompareIt.
Ah yes, my mistake.... Meant Synchronise It!, rather than compare it! i guess the questions would be, do you plan to add a backup feature to Synchronise It!?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

In Synchronize It! you can enable using Recycle bin for deletion. This should be enough.