[idea] [pending] view matches only

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
chrizoo

[idea] [pending] view matches only

Post by chrizoo »

Hi. Maybe I'm missing something, but I from what I have seen one of them most obvious functions of a diff tool is missing!

After comparing two files, there should be a way to trim either one by removing all common or all different parts.

As shown in the example below, the user might want to keep only the white parts of the right file, or - instead - remove all white parts of the right file. AFAIK currently, this has to be done manually. It would be great to right-click on the left or right pane and choose "delete all common parts" or "delete all different parts".

Last edited by chrizoo on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

There is no UI command for this - since, as you pointed out, there are too many possible combinations. But, you can do what you want by using Merged report - you can generate result file, which will include only the sections you need. It's not very intuitive tool, and it does require some experience, but you can actually do anything with source files in result.

chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

Thanks for your fast reply. I didn't know the report function. That will be helpful, thanks!
grigsoft wrote:There is no UI command for this - since, as you pointed out, there are too many possible combinations.
I don't know why you consider two additional context-menu entries "too many combinations" ... ??
chrizoo wrote: It would be great to right-click on the left or right pane and choose "delete all common parts" or "delete all different parts".

chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

Now what would also be great .... (Two ;)) more entries in the "view" menu :

"view different sections only"
"view matching sections only"

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Check View>ChangesOnly for first one.

brahman

Post by brahman »

chrizoo wrote: It would be great to right-click on the left or right pane and choose "delete all common parts" or "delete all different parts".
I would like to second chrizoo's suggestion. Seems like a nice addition that is not too difficult to implement (of course most things are not too difficult for Igor) :) !

Regards,

Brahman

chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

grigsoft wrote:Check View>ChangesOnly for first one.
thanks for pointing that out. Great that this option is already there. Now it would only be logical to add its counterpart, too, don't you think?

Something like:
view >> matches only

(or "matching sections only")
that would be wonderful!

chrizoo

Post by chrizoo »

brahman wrote:
I would like to second chrizoo's suggestion. Seems like a nice addition that is not too difficult to implement (of course most things are not too difficult for Igor) :) !

Regards,

Brahman
Yes, I'm seeing this powerful program, I'm sure there aren't a lot of difficult things for him. Thanks for supporting the idea Brahman. I would deerly love to see it implemented.