[closed] Possibility to control when tab symbols are emited

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Dainis

[closed] Possibility to control when tab symbols are emited

Post by Dainis »

I mostly use CompareIt! to compare the original source code with new code that contains changes for specific defect. Then according to our company policy I have to annotete changed lines with defect number or some other signature. For that purpose I use the inline editing feature of CompareIt.

But the problem is that after positioning the cursor with mouse in specific column (Virtual speces mode is on) the tab symbols are used to fill in the gap. I do not want to use the [Options]-[Editor]-[Save spaces, no tabs], because sometimes it is desirable to preserve the original formatting of source code (minimize changes). On the other hand I do not want the tabs to be generated for lines which I manually edited in the inline editing mode.

I see some possible solutions:
1. Make new checkbox "Apply only to edited lines" that will distinguish whether "Kill blanks on line end" and "Save spaces, no tabs" apply to entire file or only those lines which were manually edited. Thus I can check all three checkboxes and make sure that I won't cripple the lines which were not changed during CompareIt! editing session.

2. Make an option for "Virtual spaces in editor" e.g. "Generate tabs". If checked then tabs will be emitted, else only spaces will be used to fill the space till cursor.

3. Similar to #2, but without any UI changes. Just make it so that spaces are always generated.

I guess I like approach #1 the best.

Would be happy to beta-test whatever you implement :)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for suggestion. I will probably use method #2, since it is more straightforward for users. Maybe just using spaces in this case could also be an option - I will think about it a bit. I guess it depends on what developer used to.