Allow a "dircmd" type of environment variable for

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
jdan

Allow a "dircmd" type of environment variable for

Post by jdan »

Some "DOS" type commands, such as DIR and XCOPY, allow you to specify command line parameters in an environment variable (called DIRCMD and COPYCMD).

So in case you always want certain command line parameters passed each time, you don't have to keep adding them on the command line - you just define the environment variable to contain the command line options you always want, and every time you run those programs from then on, it is as if you had added those command line parameters as well.

For example, I define DIRCMD to be /ogne/a/x, since I always want those command line options for the DIR command.

Of course anything that you explicitly add to the command line will override anything specified in the environment variable.

Can you make wincmp and wndsync support this as well, so that I can predefine certain command line options in corresponding environment variables rather than have to add them to the command line each time?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Environment variable seems a bit outdated to me, but probably I will add something like this - maybe as an internal option like "Default command line". Also you can create shortcut with desired parameters - so you can call your common cmdline and still can use direct commands in some cases.

jdan

Post by jdan »

An internal option would be good.

The problem with shortcuts, is that they only work from the desktop, not from a command shell. I run wincmp and wndsync from the command shell the majority of the time right where my source files to compare are located, and I specify the files/folders to compare on the command line, so an internal option or environment variable are the only available options.

Yes, environment variables are old-style, but they are available to programs launched from the desktop as well as the command shell - you just need to define them in the system or user wide environment variables under MyComputer > Properties > Advanced > Environment variables.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, I think that if you create shortcut with different name, it will be used correctly from command line too. Am i wrong?

jdan

Post by jdan »

If I were to create a shortcut in some directory, lets say c:\work, and I called the shortcut diff, then a file called diff.lnk will show up in that directory.

Then if I have a command shell open, and set my current working directory to that directory, then I can run that shortcut by typing "diff.lnk".

But I can also run any other program or even a file such as a text file as well (the command shell will look up the file association for the text file). So the shortcut is not treated any different than any other file, but it is treated a bit differently than a program is.

But I must remember to enter the full name including the .lnk file extension, and of course it will only work while in that folder, or if I place the shortcut in the "path", then it will work from other directories as well.

So it is possible to do it this way - but it is not intuitive (meaning that I must remember to add the .lnk), and if you consider environment variables to be "outdated", then you must admit that the path is "outdated" as well, since these are DOS/command shell concepts, and not "Windows" concepts.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Suggested by Aaron:

You can omit the .lnk (or any other registered extension) by executing this:
setx pathext %pathext%;.lnk

Works only for apps/consoles started afterwards; in the current folder as well as all the path.