PDF comparison as binary

Post your bug reports here.
Gingko

PDF comparison as binary

Post by Gingko »

Hello,

Please could you tell me why the two following files are reported as identical by Compare It! (4.1), even if compared as binary, whereas they are obviously different (by just looking to their respective lengths)?
FilesToCompare.zip
Two PDF files identical as their text content, but not as binary.
(107.46 KiB) Downloaded 1411 times
It looks like that, when switching to binary comparison (using the menu command), Compare It! shows the binary content of the converted-to-text PDF file, which is inappropriate, rather than starting to compare the real binary content of these two files.

Gingko

grigsoft
Site Admin

Re: PDF comparison as binary

Post by grigsoft »

Well, in my tests it actually displays file as same,but only if showing extracted text. When comparing as plain text, or in binary mode (View>ViewAs>Binary) it displays differences. Can you make a screenshot of your case?

Gingko

Post by Gingko »

grigsoft wrote:Well, in my tests it actually displays file as same,but only if showing extracted text. When comparing as plain text, or in binary mode (View>ViewAs>Binary) it displays differences. Can you make a screenshot of your case?
Ok, here is the screenshot. I set it with horizontal panes for allowing smaller image size.

Note that when comparing as text, mine displays differences too.

I can also eventually send you an export of the configuration, in case there would be some obscure option causing this problem.
But not here, for privacy reasons.
Screenshot
Screenshot
Compare_Screenshot.gif (42.69 KiB) Viewed 21221 times
Gingko

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, it seems that you are viewing converted text as binary. Try switching to plain text first.

Gingko

Post by Gingko »

grigsoft wrote:Well, it seems that you are viewing converted text as binary. Try switching to plain text first.
And how should I do that?

(I was using Menu "View" -> "View as" -> "Binary", what else can I do ?)

Using "View" -> "View as" -> "Text" first doesn't change anything.

Gingko

JPG

Post by JPG »

Hi,
I have tried this with the current released build 4.1.2171 and the latest beta 4.2.0.2204 and there is a different result. Perhaps you should both agree on what build it is you are using.

Gingko

Post by Gingko »

JPG wrote:Hi,
I have tried this with the current released build 4.1.2171 and the latest beta 4.2.0.2204 and there is a different result. Perhaps you should both agree on what build it is you are using.
I am currently using 4.1.2171.

Actually, I don't even know how I could get latest beta 4.2.0.2204.

Gingko