Ignore case not always working

Post your bug reports here.
JPG

Ignore case not always working

Post by JPG »

Hi Igor, this is a strange situation. I find that ignore case is not working in this example.
Can you confirm an issue?
Did you ever fix this so that it worked with Greek, in the same situation. That was another case where compare it! did not work.

Jon

first line of file 1
And the men of the place asked him of his wife. And he said, She is my sister. For he feared to say, My wife. Lest, said he, the men of the place should kill me for Rebekah. Because she was fair to look upon.

first line of file 2
and the men of the place asked him of his wife; and he said, She is my sister: for he feared to say, My wife; lest, said he, the men of the place should kill me for Rebekah; because she was fair to look upon.

TonHu

Re: Ignore case not always working

Post by TonHu »

The period and the semicolon after 'Rebekah' and 'wife' also don't match... and neither do the period and colon after 'sister' AFAICS you should not be able to skip that with a case-insensitive compare.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

That's true, but anyway I could do not to highlight changed case in such cases.

JPG

Post by JPG »

Hi, Igor,
All I want to do is to ignore the case of the a-z letters, the commas, full stop, colon, semi-colon are not relevant to what I am saying. When I choose the option to ignore case, it should work in any place yes? I tried the same in Wincompare and it got the correct markup. Notice that Compare it! gets the second line correct, and so is not marked.

You help in fixing this would be appreciated.
Jon

cASE.jpg
cASE.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 30378 times

[attachment=0]windiff.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
windiff.jpg
windiff.jpg (111.2 KiB) Viewed 30378 times

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

OK, can you please check this version - http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp4bu.zip ?

Thank you!

JPG

Post by JPG »

grigsoft wrote:OK, can you please check this version - http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp4bu.zip ?

Thank you!
Did you get it to work correctly on the example I gave?
If so what were your settings?

Thanks

jon

JPG

Post by JPG »

Hi again Igor, First to say that the version at the link is an old one surely,? 4.2.2188

It just seems to be an issue when there is punctuation somewhere in the line.

file #1
just this simple example will fail if you put a full stop at the end

file #2
Just This Simple Example Will Fail If You Put a full stop at the end.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Are you sure? I have just downloaded it - it should be 2191, and it should handle ignore case problem in line highlighting.

JPG

Post by JPG »

I am fixed now thanks for the work you did.

Jon
Last edited by JPG on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

JPG

Post by JPG »

I have had this experience before, when using Firefox. I seems to keep copies of downloaded files cached. I got the file using ie9 and it has the correct date. I don't know what to say, I am using Chrome at the moment, but I suppose it is based on the same code.

That did the trick. I cleared the cache in Chrome and now it gets the file ok. Clearly it does not see any difference with the file you have on offer.

Just tried the latest download 2191 and it works perfectly now. I just have to try it on some Greek files, as this was my original issue a while back.
So Greek and ignore case does not work and I suspect it is not possible?

Another suggestion for the betas, would it be better to give a folder location and include the build number in the file name, and perhaps a changelog.txt so we all know what has happened and to which build.?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Can you get updated file from same link again? Now it should be 2183 and be better with Greek too. But, alas, after first try it didn't work for every character from your earlier samples. I will try to check why.

JPG

Post by JPG »

grigsoft wrote:Can you get updated file from same link again? Now it should be 2183 and be better with Greek too. But, alas, after first try it didn't work for every character from your earlier samples. I will try to check why.
Hi Igor, thanks for the update, it worked ok for me on the one line sample of Greek. I will have to give some time looking at large files, maybe tonight/tomorrow.
BOOK<Q> ΒΙΒΛΟΣ<q><WG976><WTN-NSF> OF GENEALOGY<Q> ΓΕΝΕΣΕΩΣ<q><WG1078>
BOOK<Q> βιβλος<q><WG976><WTN-NSF> OF GENEALOGY<Q> γενεσεως<q><WG1078>

I am not sure if it will work with polytonic Greek, but will see.

Many thanks for this fix so far.

Jon

p.s you mean 2193

JPG

Post by JPG »

Hi Igor, the only issue I see is that there would need to be an option to ignore diacritics/accents
See these two samples, the case is ignored correctly for the first letter of line one, but the first letter of line two is marked as different due to the character having an accent.

βίβλος γενέσεως Ιησού Χριστού υιού Δαβίδ υιού Αβραάμ
Αβραάμ εγέννησε τον Ισαάκ Ισαάκ δε εγέννησε τον Ιακώβ Ιακώβ δε εγέννησε τον Ιούδαν και τους αδελφούς αυτού

Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ.
Ἀβραὰμ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰσαάκ, Ἰσαὰκ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰακώβ, Ἰακὼβ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰούδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ,

JPG

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote:Hi Igor, the only issue I see is that there would need to be an option to ignore diacritics/accents
See these two samples, the case is ignored correctly for the first letter of line one, but the first letter of line two is marked as different due to the character having an accent.

βίβλος γενέσεως Ιησού Χριστού υιού Δαβίδ υιού Αβραάμ
Αβραάμ εγέννησε τον Ισαάκ Ισαάκ δε εγέννησε τον Ιακώβ Ιακώβ δε εγέννησε τον Ιούδαν και τους αδελφούς αυτού

Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ.
Ἀβραὰμ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰσαάκ, Ἰσαὰκ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰακώβ, Ἰακὼβ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰούδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ,
Hi Igor, is this possible to add the option to ignore diacritics/accents. Or is it not possible?

Jon

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hello, Sorry for delay!
I'm searching now for the possible solution. It turns to be not an trivial task to correctly remove accents for common language. But I will try to give you some results shortly.