compare files in directories

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
cromo

Post by cromo »

grigsoft wrote:I was going to recommend Synchronize It! but realized you know it. So what is the problem using 2 tools together?
I suggest something like Araxis Merge. It shows you at the left, files of the first directory and at the right, files of the second directory.
You can tell it to show only files with differences, or files with certain conditions. it tells you which file was the last modified one, the one on the left, or the one on the right. It also shows you the count of differences between them.
if you double click, then you go to the interface CompareIt already has.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, I will think how to implement something like this.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

There was a message before in this forum, about comparing based on content, but not flatly doing an ascii compare, but a more intelligent Compare It! comparison, using regex, ignoring cr/lf/cr-lf differences, white space/blank lines, etc.
This does slow down the compare process quite a bit, but it does offer huge advantages, and IMHO is what the OP is talking about. It is high on my wish-list for WinSync :D

If Compare It! would be available in a DLL version, either a flat DLL with a documented interface or through COM, should make this possible.

HTH & TIA
Ton

jdan

Post by jdan »

Can I add my request for this as well? I would really prefer to use a single tool for both files and directories.

To be honest, I find wndsync difficult to use. When I launch it from the command line, it always displays the dialog with the folders I specified rather than just comparing them right off (can be changed by adding the /scan option though).

Although it is crude, I still continue to use windiff quite often for directories, since it seems to be so intuitive from the command line - I just wish the output were side-by-side.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, creating single application will not change it's features anyway :) if you prefer to see comparison list at once, create shortcut to wndsync named wdiff (for example), add /scan to Target field, now when you will type wdiff dir1 dir2 it will start comparison. Single app does has other advantages, but I hope to be able to integrate these two good enough to provide same bonuses.

brahman

Post by brahman »

After all these decades using computers, I did not know that shortcuts can accept cmd line parameters.

I always wrote batch files. But this is much easier. I am truly amazed what I learned from you today, Igor :)

To the problem at hand: Maybe one day you can write a single app that has both features, but then sell it at the bundle price. Then everybody should be satisfied.

Regards,

B