Support multithreaded synchronization

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
ahbrown41

Support multithreaded synchronization

Post by ahbrown41 »

I would love to see some speed improvements to Synchronize It.
Some ideas I had were:
1) MultiThreaded directory crawler - Would check directories with a pool of threads.
2) Implementation of rdiff algorithm to support differential file comparison and the moving of file deltas instead of entire files (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync).
3) Tree view of directory changes or some sort of rollup when directories are on one side and not the other.

Keep up the great work!

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

1. In my tests using multiple threads on same file system didn't give a big gain, but I wasn't testing on true multicore PC. Anyway, I will probably implement this. By the way, if you (or anybody else) have multicore\multiprocessor PCs, would you test a sample program I could create to measure results?

2. rdiff doesn't make any sense for single application. I was going to use it for over-internet sync, when 2 wndsync could speak to each other over the network.

3. Could you explain this? I was going to change existing view to true tree in future, but you can rollup single folder level in current view too.

ahbrown41

Post by ahbrown41 »

Hello,
I would be happy to test the tool that you have. I tried a threaded folder compare tool and it appeared to be extremely fast. I know another thing that I had issues with in the past with grid controls is that populating it as you find files and folders can really slow things down as well.

I suppose rdiff would be extremely useful if you implemented a sftp sync option. That would really be a great feature.

Sure, a tree view would make it easier to see the folder hierarchy when syncing folders. You can take visual shortcuts with this type of approach by rolling up a folder that is on one side but not the other. This would simplify the presentation of the folders and make it easier to read.

Thanks

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Count me in for testing this feature too, I'd like to help (as always :-))

HTH
Ton

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you! I will let you know when I will have something for test.

urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

+1
I can test this too.