Non existing folder is not created

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.
Gerrit

Non existing folder is not created

Post by Gerrit »

Hello Igor,

I used beta-version 1101 to Synchronise two directory structures, including subfolders.

If on one side a new subfolder exists, containing files, and it does not exists on the other side, it will not be created. Synchronize seems to copy the files to the new folder, but here no folder is created, and hereto no files are copied. The files are copied to the root of the own drive.

Gerrit

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, I will check this. What is your OS? THis thing in fact should be working.

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

That is on Win XP Professional SP2 English version.
Source was an pendrive USB 2.0.

G

Gerrit

remark

Post by Gerrit »

I am at work now on a Hungarian Win 2000 SP 4 and here it works.

What was strange is that it did not dislay the folder names in the preview window. So on the target side (hard disk) the folder names of the folders to be created where not displayed in the 'treeview' that displayes both folder names here at work properly. I'll send a screenshot ant the end of the day.
G

Post by Guest »

I concur. I'm trying version 1.0.0.1131 and it is not creating subfolders in the target directories. I'm running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.

This is the first time I've used any of these programs, so I didn't know if I was doing something wrong.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for report, I will dig it.

mongo

Post by mongo »

I need to correct my last post slightly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I just created 3 nested folders with data files in the bottom folder. When I synchronized that with a similar top folder (empty, no nested folders) in another drive, the program worked perfectly. It created the new nested folders and put the data files in the bottom folder as expected. :D

Then (settings unchanged) I attempted a synchronization of a more complicated directory structure. This time the program did not create the new, nested folders, but moved the data file into a completely inappropriate folder in the target directory. :cry:

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Can you try old 2.8 version - will it work in your case?

mongo

Post by mongo »

I'll download that and give it a try. I'm experimenting before purchasing.

Here's the latest, and it's a lulu...

I wanted to synch items in nested folders on different drives. The target folder didn't exist so the program wanted to put the files in a completely different folder.

Okay, so then I created a target folder with the same name (Powerstrip). This time the program wanted to put the files in yet another folder, but with a closer name (Print migrate). Huh?

So then I manually copied the Powerstrip folder into the target location and manually emptied the files in the folder. So now the names have got to be identical - no chance of any misspelling. Did it work correctly? Nope. It still wants to move them into the "Print migrate" folder.

Sigh. I'll download the old program and try that. Back soon...

mongo

Post by mongo »

Okee dokee, I downloaded 2.82 and it worked just fine.

mongo

Post by mongo »

It's been almost a month since my last post. Any progress on this issue?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hello, sorry on delay - currently I'm busy with Compare It! updates.

WiseMax

It is October now - Is this problem taken care of?

Post by WiseMax »

Does it still exist in later betas of Version 3?

What is the status?

Thanks
WiseMax.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

No, it should be fixed in latest update.

WiseMax

Test yields good results.

Post by WiseMax »

I spent all afternoon today using this version 3 (rel. 1.0.1145) and I am glad to report that this issue did not occur. There were many synchronizations where it was put to test and even without any coonfirmation it went rather well.

The matter seems taken care of then. Good job!...