MMM - Cannot connect

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
wiz
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:31 am

MMM - Cannot connect

Postby wiz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 am

This problem is present from long time ago. Sometimes one or more accounts after some time of normal working are "unreachable" for MMM. The reason is unknown. There is a message "cannot connect..." and only way to solve this problem is exit MMM and re-run it again (restart of MMM). In the same time those accounts are fine, all other e-mail programs can log-in without any problem.

Seems that this problem was almost disappeared in b16, but in b18 here is it again, much worse than in the past. The problem is mostly (if not entirely, I'm not sure) present with Gmail POP accounts. Due this problem I downgraded my MMM to b16 (I use b16 with Stunnel as a SSL "wrapper" for Gmail, of course b18 was used with native SSL support, without Stunnel).

grigsoft
Site Admin
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:37 pm

Postby grigsoft » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 am

Thank you for report! I will check if I can find a reason.

wiz
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:31 am

Postby wiz » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:43 am

Thanks. It is possible that the problem is related to SSL DLL compiles. Two days ago I updated libssl32.dll and libeay32.dll in Stunnel to the most recent versions and after that I encountered a very similar problem with MMM b16 ("the connection was lost" message). After that I move back old DLLs to Stunnel and again all is fine.

Of course, maybe old Stunnel executable isn't entirely compatible with new DLL compiles, maybe I should renew the whole package. But perhaps this information can be helpful.

grigsoft
Site Admin
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:37 pm

Postby grigsoft » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:45 am

Thank you, it could be useful indeed. Can you check which version of ssleay32.dll you are using now and which has caused more errors?

wiz
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:31 am

Postby wiz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:56 am

I wasn't forget to answer to your question, but I'm not sure. The DLLs version shipped with Stunnel are not signed with any version number. Couple of days ago I tried the latest Stunnel version. DLLs again aren't with a version number. After that I tried to replace default Stunnel's versions with the latest open SSL libraries, but there is an error due inexistent entry point. So, obviously the latest Stunnel and the latest SSL libraries aren't compatible. Because the latest Stunnel produce a weird command line window I switched again to the previous version with old SSL libraries.

Now, about MMM... I try again the 2.94b18 with two different settings files, one with shipped SSL libraries, and another one with Stunnel. When I use the integrated SSL support in MMM there is still a similar problem as described before. Simply some accounts aren't checked during many hours, there is "cannot connect" or "sending password" etc. Usually, when I manually initiate checking mail it works again fine (but not always, sometimes I must restart MMM).

I'm not yet completely sure what is with accounts checked using Stunnel (with old SSL libraries) because I use this setting file very little now with MMM 2.94b18 (with beta 16, as I told before, it works fine). I'll obtain more reliable conclusions related to b18 in the future.


Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest