V 2.82 Search mask problems & Version 3 suggestions

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
rh99

V 2.82 Search mask problems & Version 3 suggestions

Post by rh99 »

I'm having trouble getting the full benefit of SyncIt. At least I believe it can do more than I'm squeezing out of it. But some of my problems could maybe be addressed via enhancements in V3, so here goes:

First, I'm comparing/working with several big projects (different versions, from different persons), each with hundreds of files throughout a standard directory & subdir structure. My initial objective is to determine why these systems yield different results, so initially I want to scan but not sync or change any file. Hence I'd like a switch to ensure SyncIt doesn't inadvertantly copy, overwrite, or change any file. That is, I'd like to set a check box which actually removes the Synchronize button from the Search results panel.

Second, I'm having trouble with the Search mask function: e.g. I have specified ! *.BAK *.bak *.awk in the Search Mask box, yet files with "bak" extensions still appear in the Source and Target listings.

Third, I don't know why this isn't working, but I'm sure its user error of some sort! :) It suggests I don't truly understand the function of the Search Mask & Exclude Folders features. Are there some simple examples on this site? Surely one can specify ! *.bak and exclude those files from comparison....I just haven't figured out how! For BetaV3 enhancements: the very spare, clean interface (and complicated/nonstandard icons: i.e. arrows, folder icons, page icons with little letters, file drawer icons, etc.) are confusing for the new/occasional user. I don't know if I simply misunderstand some icon, but why not provide a "training wheels" display option where the UserInterface adds a text description of what clicking a little icon does, or what text in the mask does (i.e. like Internet Explorer and other software which permits display of icons only/or icons with text Then when I become comfortable with the function of each part of the interface, I can select the cleaner, no text version.

While on the topic of the search mask specification, please consider for V3: in a Search Results display, allow a right click on a file name to bring up a context menu which would allow dynamic selection of that file for Include/Exclude in the Search Mask. [ Beyond that I would even like the ability to specify the selected file's extension or prefix (*.xxx or YYY.*) if it did not make things too messy,] ....but even giving me the ability to add the filename to the search mask and then allowing me to manually edit the file name would allow me to dynamically and progressively build the include/exclude list while I'm reviewing the Search results list. In the current "bimodal" setup, I cannot edit the Search Mask while the Search results list is displayed, so when I see some files I want to ignore, then I have to shut the results window and go back and edit the Mask, then re-scan, etc. Unfortunately in V3 Alpha (which has some nice features), the Mask selection (and the entire SyncIt specifications box) disappears completely once 'preview' is clicked.

Thanks for providing such great utilities! I'm a Long term CompareIt user. You know, one unique feature I really use in CompareIt is setting Regular-expression "ignore" strings. This suggests another potential SyncIt BetaV3 enhancement feature: could you make the filename Search Mask somewhat more flexible by allowing RegExp specification of filenames? For example, filenames with a "-" dash in them, or filenames with the string "tst" somewhere in the prefix, etc. could be ignored.... I haven't thought this final suggestion through a lot; Just an idea.

Bob

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Bob,
Thank you for suggestion on mode without Sync button, I will think how to add this.

If you want to specify exclude only filter, you should use Exclude button (the one with X in 2.x version). In fact syntax "! *.bak" should work too, but I can say for sure at the moment.

As for mask change "in process", this doesn't go along with SyncIt idea, but I will think this over. There is ability in 2.8 to mark/unmark fils by mask (press gray +/-), maybe this will help you, but this only works for files already listed.

rh99

Post by rh99 »

Oh thanks, I see now....bringing SyncIt back up after a long weekend, I had failed to notice that the X icon was not shaded---now the exclude list is working for me in 2.82. So in other words, the search mask will be ignored unless the X button is selected. In order to further give the user more visual feedback, perhaps you could "gray out" the Search Mask text box if the values in it were being ignored by SyncIt.

I also see I have to further study use of the ! . Specifying a ! in the mask still doesn't yield precisely what I expect based on the help text <include> ! <exclude> syntax description.

A philosophical point: CompareIt seems to be largely "modeless" while SyncIt has two modes. I really prefer modeless design as it means you can continue doing things without changing modes. It seems like you could make syncIt modeless if you added (or made it an option to add) the "start dialog" fields/buttons to the syncit wondow border. That would not crowd SyncIt on my display, but I do have a 16:9 display.

Thanks for the assistance!

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

That X button is for exclude. It is only used when you need to exclude files by mask. If it is not pressed, filters are working as usual. I have just tried your "! mask" - first ! is just ignored as incorrect syntax. "include ! exclude" syntax can only be used when you need both masks, such as include all .cpp, except starting with bak: "*.cpp ! bak*".

Compare It! as flagman product (and more simple to use) is much more usability adjusted. I'm trying to do the same with SyncIt 3, but since it has more complex usages, it is not easy. I hope with time it will be so good too.