Exclude one particular file or folder (with absolute path)

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
mik

Exclude one particular file or folder (with absolute path)

Post by mik »

Hi,

I understand that the "exclude option" (which I use in command line mode with /x or /xD) will exclude any file or directory whose name matches the string that is provided. Is it possible to exclude just one file or directory by providing the full path for it?

A simple example:

I am synchronizing my whole C: drive, but I would like to exclude one file: "C:\My Dir\data.dat". If I use the command line switch /x"data.dat", any data.dat file on the C: drive will be ignored, while I just want to ignore the one in "C:\My Dir".
The problem would be the same for folders, e.g. imagine I want to ignore "C:\My Dir\Exe\". If I use the switch /xD"Exe", any "Exe" folder on the drive will be ignored.
Am I correct?

I understand one workaround would be to synchronize "My Dir" only and not the whole C drive but then I would need to synchronize all other folders in C: individually which is not really an option.

Now that I think of it, may be it is even worse? If I use the switch /x"Exe" or /xD"Exe", will Synchronize It! also ignore folders or files with names like "Executable" (i.e. do you check for an exact match or a partial match?)?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion,

Mik

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Unless you use mask "Exe*", it will only affect exact match. And yes, you can use full names in both files and foders - app should support such names.

mik

Post by mik »

Thanks for your answer.
I am now able to get it to work exactly as I want for folders but I still struggle to exclude one particular file.

Example: I am synchronizing C:\Temp to D:\Temp.
There are two "special" files:
C:\Temp\Dir1\My special file.txt
C:\Temp\Dir2\My special file.txt

I want to exclude the first one but not the second line, and I am using command line switches.
I tried the following combinations:

wndsync.exe "C:\Temp" "D:\Temp" /copy /r /show /auto /x"C:\Temp\Dir1\My special file.txt"

wndsync.exe "C:\Temp" "D:\Temp" /copy /r /show /auto /x"\"C:\\Temp\\Dir1\\My special file.txt\""

wndsync.exe "C:\Temp" "D:\Temp" /copy /r /show /auto /x"\"C:\Temp\Dir1\My special file.txt\""

But none seems to work. Is there a way to do what I want?

Thanks!
Mik

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, seems like you are right, and full path exclusion does not work for files. I have to fix this.