Deleting Whole Folders

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Marcel Dijkstra

Deleting Whole Folders

Post by Marcel Dijkstra »

I recently purchased “Synchronize It!” and was instantly disappointed about one small thing. It is really a great tool, but the thing is that when synchronizing folders which have been deleted from the target they are not being deleted from the source. This is especially frustrating when folders have been renamed, moved, rearranged.

I was wondering why in the “synch.log” files, sub-folders are not listed as “…\folder\” (having 0 bytes file size), instead of files listed as “...\file.ext” not ending with “\”. In this way it would be easy to verify if a folder has been deleted from the source or that it is new in the target. In this way the program can prompt the user whether to remove the folder from the target or not. Of course this would require a “synch.log” file in each folder, also folders which don’t have files but only sub-folders.

It would really be a nice option if it would be possible to synchronize folders between target and source. At the moment I have to look at what has happened and then I have to remove the folder from the target manually.

Regards,
Marcel

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for feedback! In Options>Settings please check "Delete folders if all files were deleted" + "Handle empty folders". This is if your problem is left empty folders. Alternatively check "Backup" mode.

Marcel Dijkstra

Post by Marcel Dijkstra »

This does not solve my problem. My problem is that deletions of complete folders are not propagated to the other side when synchronizing. This is what I would expect from synchronization. It would require that the ”synch.log” in the parent folder has a history of any deleted sub-folders, in this way it would recognize that a folder present on the other side should be deleted too. Currently a copy of the folder is copied back from the other side, undoing the deletion of the folder by the user. This is frustrating if you have done many folder deletions and renaming of folders.

“Synchronize It” might have an option which can make it work, but I could not find it. Also, with the “synch.log” files not storing folder information, I doubt if deletions of folders can be propagated correctly.

I downloaded “SyncToy” from Microsoft and this program can do it at no cost, although I dislike the GUI. If “Synchronize It” can do the same job I would be happy to continue using it.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, I see now. I will check how to solve this.