Stop automatical overwrite of wndsync.ini

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
calvini

Stop automatical overwrite of wndsync.ini

Post by calvini »

This was mentioned earlier, but seems not to be implemented till now.

My problem: I use Synchronize It! on different computers and so sometimes I have to synchronize the wndsync.ini too. But if a newer version of that file is copied to the computer where Synchronize It! is running on, the copied version is overwritten when exiting the program.

My suggestion:
  • Check wndsync.ini when starting the programm (maybe save a md5-hash of it's contents).
  • When explicitly changing the file in the program, first check, if in the meantime file was changed from outside - if so, give a warning, maybe start Compare It! if present or simply ask for overwriting the changed version.
  • When the program is finished, only save wndsync.ini if it really was changed during the run. Then, if the file was changed from outside too, again give a warning and so on.
  • Optionally everytime on finishing check for differences between settings in file and program and - if there are any - warn the user and give him the option to chose between the two versions.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, I wll add this check. Mentioned post was about Import\Export feature, which is implemented.

calvini

Post by calvini »

Okay, I focussed on the part "so that it does not overwrite the ini file on exit". So for now, I could import the copied file to let Synchronize It! recognize the changes? Four clicks, that okay. Otherwise I would open the file with notepad, close Synchronize It!, save the file with Notepad and then reopen Syncronize It!.

But checking for changes on exit would be an even better deal ;).