correct size & Date in package

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Spitfire_ch

correct size & Date in package

Post by Spitfire_ch »

I know the package thing is complicated, but slowly I start to comprehend how it works. Well, there's a thing which I found a little confusing.

Example:

I have a file named test.pdf on computer A and computer B. On computer B it's an old version: 19-12-2006, 1030 Byte. On computer A it's a newer version: 10-06-2007, 2000 Byte.

1. Create package on computer A
-> in list.txt I will have the entry: 2000 10-06-2007 00:00:00 0 0 0 test.pdf

2. I take the package to computer B and synchronize it
-> it will produce half-green arrows, because the new file is not in the package, and tag it to be copied from computer A
-> in list.txt I will have: 2000 10-06-2007 00:00:00 2 0 0 test.pdf

3. I again take the package to computer A, and now it suggests to copy test.pdf from computer A to the package (which is correct).

The problem: it did not change the date, nor the filesize in the package, so that it looks as if I would overwrite identical files:

(source = package) (target = computer A)
10-06-2007 [2.000] << 10-06-2007 [2.000]

This can be kind of confusing.

The reason: in list.txt, it only set's a 2 0 0 to tag the file to be copied from computer A, but it does not change the date / size

Possible solution:
When you set a 2 0 0, also replace the date / size (from computer A) in list.txt by that of computer B.

When you synchronize this package again on computer A, you should get:

(source = package) (target = computer A)
19-12-2006, [1.030] << 10-06-2007 [2.000]
which would be more logical and less confusing.

Thank you and best regards

- spitfire

Spitfire_ch

Post by Spitfire_ch »

Another thing, using the example from above:

1. create package on computer A
2. synchronzie package with computer B -> 2 0 0 flag will be set
3. synchronize again with computer B (for example later in the day, to copy newly created files to the package)
=> it will suggest to copy all files with the 2 0 0 flag from computer B (= older versions!) to the package. So once the 2 0 0 flag has been set, it does not check date and size any more. It would make sense to check first, whether the files on the current computer are indeed newer than the one on the package!

Basically: 2 0 0 flag
case 1: still the same computer B (old files) -> do nothing (ignore the 2 0 0 flag)
case 2: synchronize package with computer A, which contains the newer files -> copy files to the package, as it's done already now

Regards

- spitfire

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

In fact this 2 0 0 flag is our recent addition to request file from source, which was not taken at first. Probably you are right, and I should set date to older file to make it less confusing and handle second sync with B in your case.