7Zip support enhancement

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
RogerLaw

7Zip support enhancement

Post by RogerLaw »

From the "http://grigsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1148"

"Currently configuration is only available through special file: wndsync.arc. Add following section:
[7zip]
p=J:\Program Files\7-Zip\7za.exe"
(remainder removed for brevity)

Please can you modify SynchronizeIt to allow relative path from folder where wndsync.exe is to 7za.exe, e.g. p=..\..\7-Zip\7Za.exe?

This allows USB drive users to use this method when the drive letter keep changing and is easier to mantain.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Latest beta supports %:\path syntax - %:\ will be replaced with drive letter of synchronizeIt.

RogerLaw

Post by RogerLaw »

If it isn't too difficult to implement I would really like the relative method of specifying the path.

This allows this option of SynchronizeIt to work wherever it happens to be.

I have become a convert to portable apps (see http://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app). I am using as many apps as possible that don't need installing and can be run from a USB drive. However rather than always use my USB drive it makes sense to use the backup copy on my laptop's hard drive when I have my laptop with me (to save the wear on the USB drive and for faster operation) but of course all the paths are different here...hence the need for relativity.

Hope I've explained it well enough :)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

OK, relative paths should not be a problem too.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Relative paths should be supported now: http://grigsoft.com/blog/?p=54

RogerLaw

Relative paths

Post by RogerLaw »

Igor,

I thought it was about time I tested the relative paths!

Once I had set them up correctly in the wndsync.arc file they worked fine.
Thanks again for this!

You might like to consider an enhancement to help users setting this up. If the paths are wrong, pressing the preview button does nothing except change focus to the Target field when the button is released. It would be nice if an alert dialogue box said something like "external archiver can't be found at ............." so the user could see what needed correcting in the path.

BTW, what character(s) can one use at the beginning of a line in the wndsync.arc for comments?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, Roger! I will add an error description.
As for error - this is plain ini file, so ';' is just fine.

Also, note that in latest version you can edit archive configuration directly in Options, without need to change wndsync.arc file.

RogerLaw

Post by RogerLaw »

So you can... I hadn't realised that because Tools - Customize - Options - Archives displays with the first entry, the built-in Zip, grey-selected and you don't see that there are fields to edit unless you select Arj, Rar etc.

Maybe it would be better to display them for Zip as well, with their contents obviously greyed-out/write protected?

Just to make it fully clear for others, grigsoft's statement "without need to change wndsync.arc file" is complete if you add "with an external editor as Syncronize It! writes the changes you make in the dialogue box to this file for you"

RogerLaw

Post by RogerLaw »

Better still would be to display the whole archive fields greyed-out, not just their contents, for ZIP so that the new user knows the editable fields exist.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, this does make sense.