How to minimize the Synchronise It! in auto mode.

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.

How to minimize the Synchronise It! in auto mode.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I'm using the Synchronise It! to make the backup of the many directories of my computer. So I start the Synchronise It! many times from the one batch file. My idea was to make this operation on the background. Unfortunately the Synchronise It! is started in maximized state and this is very unpleasant when I need to work with other programs.

Is there any switch (I haven't found such in the help up to now) to start Synchronise It in mimimized state?

Thanks

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

What if:
- Create 1 project that handles all copy operations
- Copy the SynchronizeIt! shortcut or create a new one on the desktop, and give it the parameters to run this project
- Change the property for this shortcut to start minimized
- 1 double-click and all is running smooth?

HTH
TonHu

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

In addtion to TonHu post: are you using /auto switch? It should keep window minimized too.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I'm using the following command line in my batch file

Code: Select all

c:\Documents and Settings\Petr\Batch>"c:\Program Files\Synchronize It!\winsin.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Petr\Batch" "c:\Briefcase\Batch" /auto /log=Backup.log /T /F="*.*" /R
You can see the /auto is used there, but the SyncIt isn't started in minimized mode.

I have tried also the tip recommended by TonHu, i.e. I have created the Briefcase project and related configurations and than the Shortcut with target set to

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Synchronize It!\winsin.exe" /P=Briefcase /auto
and the shortcut is set to start the program minimized.

In this case the behaviour is partially better because the SynIt is started one time (unfortunately again maximized) and the whole project is performed during one start of SyncIt and so I'm not disturbing when I start to work with different program during the SyncIt running.

Unfortunately such solution isn't the best one for me, because I'm "backuping" about thirty various directories of my HDD and moreover into two different target directories. Such task can be simply performed by the batch file, unfortunately it isn't via the SyncIt projects. The reason is that I have to prepare about 30 configurations for one project, about 30 configuration for the second project.

Even if I will prepare all those configuration and projects and then I would decide to change the target directory, all work would lost, because all target directories has to be rewritten to the new target :(

Or is there any better way how to solve such task?

I'm also thinking that anything is strange on my system, because you claim that with /auto switch the mimimized mode should be used automatically.

I'm using Win2k Service Pack 4, Czech localization. Do you have any idea what could be the reason of such bad behaviour?

Thanks

[/img]

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I have found the reason of the bad SyncIt behaviour. The troubles are related to the Total Commander instance from which the batch file is called.

I.e. I start the my backup batch file from the Total Commander and if I try to make something inside this instance of the Total Commander, the window of SyncIt is still jumping over the Total Commander window.

As soon as I use the another instance of the Total Commander (or another application), the problem is over.

Is it possible to explain such behaviour. Is it correct?

Thanks

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Which version of TC are you using? I have just tried the same, with starting SI from batch file. Synchronize It! appears once, but when you get your focus back to TC, it would not appear again. I'm using latest 6.03 TC - may be this would help?
PS. Are you starting many SI instances? In this case you may want to use "start /wait " syntax in batch - it will start SI one-by-one.

Post by Guest »

I'm using TC version 6.03a (i.e. the latest version available).

I think the matter is related to my BATCH file which starts the SyncIt about 30 times and there is probably any relation between the console created by batch file and the TC instance. Unfortunately I don't know precisely the explanation because I'm not very familiar with the internal Windows system structure.

In any case I can simply solve this matter by the usage of the second instance of the TC (and I have always started two instances). Therefore I think we can consider this matter solved and it isn't necessary to waste more time with it.

Thank you very much for your help.

P.S. As for "start /wait" syntax, I know about this possibility, I have made also the attempt to use START command to enforce the SyncIt to start in minimize state "start /min ..." (the behaviour is still the same). As for "/wait" switch, I think the SyncIt are started one-by-one also without this specific command.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Aah, finally I understand your problem fully. As another hint, you can start your batch file from Start/Run command line, this should let you avoid using second instance of TC.