Keep Folder Timestamp

Post your bug reports here
sync

Keep Folder Timestamp

Post by sync »

When syncing Folders, the Timestamp of the newly generated Folder ist not
the same...

(its the syncing time not the source folder date)
(File date is okay)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, I will write this down for v3.

Harald

Is folder timestamp still not preserved?

Post by Harald »

Hi there!

I am also interested in above feature, e.g. to preserve photo folder creation dates.

Has it been implemented?

Rgrds, Harald

RogerLaw

Post by RogerLaw »

I asked for this in Apr 2006

and was told "Thank you, I will consider adding it to new version"

There hasn't been a new version since Sept 2006 and it wasn't in there.

When I want to "Copy folder timestamp" I have to use CopySynch Desktop, free version, from http://www.jpgriffiths.com/ but it is a bit slow.

I really wish Igor would move it to the top of his todo list as it is very impotant to me. The whole point of a backup is that if it is needed when a file tree is reinstated it should be the same it was with all the original folder dates.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

I'm very sorry, about this situation. I did try to implement it quicky, but it turns to be no so easy in current internal program structure. So I have assigned this feature a low priority, since just a few has asked for it. I will try to do it again.

RogerLaw

Post by RogerLaw »

I think you would be surprised how many wanted it if you did a survey of your users.

The problem is that most people don't realise this is the situation until they need to recover a file tree from backup sets and find that the folder timestamps are all wrong

Belkin

Post by Belkin »

Yes, i need this feature too.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

http://grigsoft.com/blog/?p=54

But I wander if top-level folder should keep same date? Now this folder (that is one choosed as Target, for example) keeps current date.

RogerLaw

Post by RogerLaw »

If top level folder exists in the source then, when copied to the target, it should retain the source folder's timestamp as there is no logical reason for making it an exeption.

If one wants to remember when the whole backup was created then it could be put in a new destination holding folder for that purpose.

Hope I understood what you meant and this makes sense to you.

RogerLaw

Post by RogerLaw »

It looks like this thread is left hanging so I've added this post to clarify the situation... it continued in the development blog to a conclusion (at http://grigsoft.com/blog/?p=57).

Many thanks to Igor for completing Folder Timestamp copying, something I have wanted for a very long time.

Roger

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

No, this thread is not forgotten, I have just not decided yet what to do wth top-level folder :)