user bug with packages

Post your bug reports here
Spitfire_ch

user bug with packages

Post by Spitfire_ch »

As the subject suggests, this is rather a dumb user bug than a software bug:

if you try to synchronize a folder with a package, that is stored in this folder, it will result in an infinite loop, until the drive is full, because it keeps adding the growing package to itself.

It's kind of obvious, one should not do that (just happened by accident or my stupidity), and may be addressed by simply putting a warning in the help-file where packages are described.

Best regards
- spit

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, I guess same result would be for zip\snapshot within folder. I can detect this and probably skip this file from scanning, in addition to warning user about this situation. But I wonder what do you mean by infinite loop? On single scan it will just add itself. I see the problem that on each subsequent scan updated package will appear in results again. Do you see the same? I'm asking because in case with recursive junction is actually possible to see (almost) infinite loop in result list, maybe you are facing the same in some conditions?

Spitfire_ch

Post by Spitfire_ch »

I observed that the synchronization wouldn't stop and the package kept growing. It should have been 700 MB, but it got bigger and bigger and bigger. At 12 GB I aborted the process manually. So I assume it just kept adding itself in an infinite loop - but maybe there is another explanation for it.

Best wishes

- spit

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

That's strange, but anyway, excluding file from list should solve the problem.