"umlaute" in package files

Post your bug reports here
Spitfire_ch

"umlaute" in package files

Post by Spitfire_ch »

I just stumbled over a small bug regarding package files, considering filenames with "Umlaute" and other non-usual letters:

Such file names are stored correctly in the package (I checked list.txt), but then they are read from it wrongly.

Example:
file named zürich.jpg on computer A and computer B (identical).

1. create package on computer A -> list.txt will contain zürich.jpg
2. synchronize package with computer B -> it want's to copy zürich.jpg from computer B to the package, and a file named z³rich.jpg from the package to computer B. It doesn't find this file in the package, though. because it never existed.

Conclusion: There is a small bug in retrieving unusual letters from list.txt

Best regards

- spitfire

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, in fact I should have used unicode for listing files - I wonder why I didn't think about it before. I think I will do this.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, in fact listing should be unicode if you are using Unicode version of Synchronize It! Can you check your About box - is there Unicode written?

Spitfire_ch

Post by Spitfire_ch »

Uh, I'am using the second last beta version, so maybe this was not unicode written? It says 3.3.1483

I just realize now that in your dev-blog you have two downloads,

wndsyncb.zip and Unicode

Sorry, I didn't realize before those are not the same versions of the program. I thought it was just different ways to install them. I will give the unicode version a try, then, thank you!

Best regards,

- spitfire

P.S. what exactly is the difference between the two versions?

PPS: another sorry for having posted that at the wrong board, should probably have gone to beta ...

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

You can check this, for example: http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html

In short, Unicode version handle all texts as sequence of 2-bytes characters, so all national characters are safely handled - that is all special file names, file content etc. It is nice, but Unicode was not fully supported in Windows 98 and ME.

Spitfire_ch

Post by Spitfire_ch »

I see, thank you. So in XP and Vista, there is no disadvantage of using the Unicode version of synchronize it, right?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Absolutely, in fact I'm going to hide plain version, specifically keeping it for those using 98\ME.

Spitfire_ch

Post by Spitfire_ch »

The Unicode version is working like a charm, thank you very much!

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

OK, thank you for information.