Printing a single file

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
mknueven

Printing a single file

Post by mknueven »

Great product! Registered a couple of months ago and love it.

Is there any way to print what has changed in just one of the files (as opposed to the side-by-side print) This would make it handy for us coders who have made changes and are stepping through code with a printout at our side that shows what has changed.

Thanks,
Mike

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

No, currently there is no such option, but why can't you use normal printout - anyway printing just 1 file would not save you any paper. And in my experience, knowing not only where it changed, but also how it was changed helps a lot in such job.

mknueven

Post by mknueven »

That is true (regarding amount of paper), but if you use 132 columns (like I do), it is nice to print without so much line wrapping. If you turn off wrapping in the print, a bit too much of the content is lost. I know windiff doesn't come close to your program, but it will print a merged single file (albeit with no way to change the print font among other deficiencies).

Thanks,
Mike

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

I'd vote for this feature if that was requested.

I have to discuss changes sometimes, and taking a full-fledged dual-page printout into the discussion, raises often questions I'd rather avoid answering :? (there's a lot of really old Cobol code over here...)

TIA
Ton

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

OK, I can consider adding this feature, but should it be single file printing or something like windiff does?

mknueven

Post by mknueven »

Your printing is far superior. I would print just as it is but the single file. Possibly select just the file in the left pane (with a checkbox under Print options) since you can pretty easily 'switch sides' with a click on the toolbar (when you add the button to the toolbar).

It may also be beneficial to show only a single deleted line since there may be section of text cut out (possibly a checkbox to configure?).

If ‘Print Line Numbers’ are configured under print options, it is pretty easy to tell if something is deleted (because there is no line number for a deleted line). Or, possibly a configurable color for deleted line(s)?

You really have a great product. I appreciate anything you can do.

Mike

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

OK, thank you, I will add this to the wish list.