[closed] XML Tidy before comparison

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.

[closed] XML Tidy before comparison

Post by Guest »

Often outputs of various tools are not quite the same, or are not really usable for comparison. One of my least favorite examples is the .igproj files from Infragistics, which are XML files on one very long line. If you could add the option to pass the files through XML Tidy (or whatever tool is associated with the file extension), then I could really compare the files in a usable way. Of course you should only do that if you think it's "possibly" dirty based on other criteria (date/size).

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, do you want this for Synchronize It?
In Compare It! you can use our Convertors feature. Open Options/Converters, define which tool to use to convert specified files. This tool will be called for all such files automatically.

ken_1969

XML support

Post by ken_1969 »

grigsoft wrote:Hmm, do you want this for Synchronize It?
In Compare It! you can use our Convertors feature. Open Options/Converters, define which tool to use to convert specified files. This tool will be called for all such files automatically.
I just downloaded CompareIt! which looks like a great tool, but I also use it mainly with XML files produced by different engines. I had a look in the list of converters you mentioned but don't see a convert for XML files. As it is when comparing too files, if they are not formatted identically it is a painful process.
Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

No, I was refering to ability to use external tool as converter. So you can take Tide or other program and configure it to be automatically called before comparison for xml files.

dchester

XML Tidy

Post by dchester »

I did try to get the XML Tidy to work but had no success. Under "Tools->Options->Options I selected Converter.

I added a new converter with ".xml" as the mask. In the command field I put the path to XMLTidy.exe.

In the arguments field I put -config <path to config.txt> {$Source_File}

Is this incorrect?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

There should be target file always. Compare It! can not handle such calls at the moment.

dchester

XMLTidy

Post by dchester »

So you mean that the target file will be the converted one? So then how does this get loaded into CompareIt? I thought that it would be an invisible conversion - that any .xml file opened for comparison would be converted then displayed in the compare window.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, Compare It! will load target file instead of original one. As result file editing will be disabled. But you are right, in such cases using inplace-conversion will solve the problem - I will adjust Compare It! to accept such conversion.