[closed] explorer send to integration (right mouse)

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
whiri02

[closed] explorer send to integration (right mouse)

Post by whiri02 »

Hi - I've been a contented user of CompareIt for some time. But I recently tried Scooters' beyondcompare, Now the product is not as good as compareIt, but it does have some great integration to the send to (right mouse) menu from windows explorer. With a single file high lighted you see a 'send to left side of compare', if you have already chosen the left side, you see a 'compare with "theLeftSide.filename"'. This makes it very easy to select files for compare from different directories and drives.
Any plans for similar enhancements to CompareIt ?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

In fact I don't find this feature so cool. Compare It will open it's window once you pass single file there (from CopyTo), and you can directly drop second file to start comparison. Still I will probably try to add similar thing in future.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

In line with this feature request, I'd like to see a setting for 'Open the ask for second file dialog on "Send to" if only 1 file was sent', (checked (on) by default), so when off the first "Send to" action would open CI with the first filename but no further action, and a second "Send to" click opens the second file and brings CI to the front.

I hope I'm clear enough in this explanation ;-)

HTH/TIA
TonHu

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, but it should work this way now. Is there problem with this? I will check this again.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

It's working just fine, except for 2 points:
- The 'Open another file to compare with' dialog is always opened when sending just 1 file with 'Send to'
- When sending a second file with 'Send to', Windows explorer is still the main visible window, instead of Compare It!. (WinXP here, seems to be a problem with other apps as well, including famous apps like InnoSetup and UltraEdit, must be an explorer fault :roll: )

I can live with both these 'features' until you find a proper solution (or not ;-) ).

TIA
TonHu

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

1. It is still not clear for me what would be best handling when single parameter is passsed - either from SendTo or manually. I'm still waiting for some good idea to come.
2. Yes, starting from Win2K, and improving it in WinXp, MS enforce new strategy - application should not disturb user's work. So if you are working with one application, another one can not popup. This has sense for most cases, but sometimes you get not so obvious results. Of course, people have started to search for alternative ways to popup, so there are some tricks on it. Maybe I will use one in future.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

1.) Make this behaveour configurable, like a setting in the Options dialog, and with a commandline parameter, so Drag & Drop (on the Desktop) could possibly ask for a second file, and from "Send to", using cmdline parameter /SingleFileNoQuestions would just start CI waiting for the second file, overruling the setting from the options panel.

2.) This is a disadvantage of the monopolistic actions of MS :-(

HTH
TonHu