[closed] Regular expressions and the command line

Post your bug reports here.
kellyholmes

[closed] Regular expressions and the command line

Post by kellyholmes »

I sent an email to the support address before I realized these forums were here. Just in case someone else can point me in the right direction...

I am using the command line interface to compare the contents of two folders. It works great. However, the regular expressions I configured in the Options dialog box in Compare It don't seem to take affect in the command line operations. Is there some other way to apply regular expressions for the purpose of preprocessing a compare of two folders?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Kelly

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Kelly,
Comparison rules are the same, whether Compare It! is used from comamnd line or from UI. Are you sure your regexps are workiong correctly if you are not using command line?

kellyholmes

RegExp work for me in the UI

Post by kellyholmes »

They're definitely working for me in the UI. I have one RegExp that searches for 0151; and replaces it with 8212;

When I open 2 files with these characters, Compare It correctly tells me the files are identical and shows the yellow icon in the upper right corner of the title bar for each file.

For example, the first file has this line:

Code: Select all

<li><a href="Using_ActiveX_PropBrws.html">ActiveX Property Browser</a>—Available only with ActiveX objects in a container.</li>
And the second file has this line:

Code: Select all

<li><a href="Using_ActiveX_PropBrws.html">ActiveX Property Browser</a>—Available only with ActiveX objects in a container.</li>
...actually, I think I just figured out what the problem is!

If a file has differences other than those resolved through RegExp, all the differences are shown in the report files along with the valid differences not resolved through RegExp. So is there any way to hide the differences for the purposes of the report file?

thanks for your help with this!
Kelly

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

You are almost right - just to notice that if LINES have other differences, than ignored by RegExp, ignored diffs are highlighted anyway.
Currently there is no way to hide this from highlighting - line comparison engine doesn't use information from regexp (or other "ignore" rules). But it is listed in "Wish list"