crash/display error comparing ~600MB files (unicode version)

Post your bug reports here.
aheine

crash/display error comparing ~600MB files (unicode version)

Post by aheine »

Hi everybody,

I want to use Compare It 4.2.2221 Unicode to compare Unicode (UTF-16) text files. The size of the files is about 600 MB each and the content is very similar (only a few differences).
The problem is, that the Compare It Application crashes with a runtime exception before loading the files and creating the necessary information is completed. In the past I had only 2 GB of RAM but the application crashes even with 6 GB of RAM installed on my Windows 7 machine.

Sometimes there is no crash and the comparison information get's loaded completely but then the content of one of the files is not shown or only partly displayed.

Interestingly the Compare It 4.2.2221 non-unicode version works but this doesn't help me a lot since I need the Unicode Version to display the text files correctly.

Can anybody help me with that problem? I think it should be possible to compare such log files on my machine without any problem.

Thanks!

grigsoft
Site Admin

Re: crash/display error comparing ~600MB files (unicode vers

Post by grigsoft »

Hello,
Unfortunately currently CompareIt can not handle such files - 32-bit application can only use 2GB, and it seems to be not enough to for such files. I'm planning to fully support 64b systems in future, in addition I also have plans to support large files comparison - we just should not load it in memory completely.

aheine

Re: crash/display error comparing ~600MB files (unicode vers

Post by aheine »

Thanks for the background information of that problem.